Stay Safe and Catch ‘em All!
Did you spend the weekend catching Pokémon? If so, you aren’t alone. Abington Township Police Department is urging Pokémon Go players to stay safe while you try to catch ’em all. There have been reports of accidents, injuries, and even of robberies where suspects have set up fake ‘Poke-spots’. The game’s website tells users “For safety’s sake never play Pokémon Go when you’re on your bike, driving a car, riding a hover board, or anywhere else you should be paying attention, and of course never wander away from your parents or group to catch a Pokémon.” Good luck and have fun!
Here are some safety tips while playing Pokémon Go:
- Know where your kids are going when playing the game and set limits on where they can go
- Tell your kids about stranger-danger. The game is designed to bring people together in the real world as they search for Pokémon in common areas called gyms and pokestops. You never know who your kids could meet.
- Tell them not go onto private property, dark alleys, or areas that they would not go if they were not playing the game.
- Know your surroundings and pay attention to where you are going/who is around you. If you have a feeling you are being followed, head to a lighted area with people around and call your parents/guardian or 9-1-1.
- Watch where you are going and obey traffic laws. Please do not look down at your phone while walking and crossing streets.
- People may think you’re a suspicious person. Places such as schools, daycares and churches have lots of Pokémon activity. Be aware of where you are pointing your phone.
Good luck and have fun!