October 16, 2023
Community Alert- Residential Burglaries
On Friday evening, October 13, 2023, at 7:51 PM, a home was burglarized in the 1300 block of Fairacres Rd. in the Jenkintown section of Abington. The suspects climbed up to the second floor and broke a window to gain entry. The suspects set off the alarm when leaving the home, but not before ransacking the master bedroom and stealing items.
It was later learned that just prior to this burglary, at 7:24 PM, there was another burglary, and an attempted burglary at two homes in the 300 block of Holmecrest Rd., also in the Jenkintown section of Abington. Entry was made by breaking out a window in the rear of the home. Second floor bedrooms were ransacked, and items were stolen from the home. Surveillance video showed that the suspects were two males wearing hooded sweatshirts, gloves, and had their faces covered.
Detectives are trying to determine if these burglaries are related to other burglaries that have occurred recently in the Meadowbrook section of Abington, as well as other neighborhoods in the Philadelphia region.
All of the burglaries have had several similarities:
- All of the Abington burglaries have occurred east of Old York Rd.
- All of the burglaries have occurred in the evening within the first two hours of darkness
- Alarms and security cameras are a deterrence. The burglars have either found a way to bypass the alarm or flee upon activating the alarm
- Suspects conduct surveillance of the neighborhood and chose houses where they believe no one is home
Tips for homeowners to protect their property:
- Keep your home well-lit. Utilize timers. Park a car in your driveway
- Set your alarm, and utilize security cameras
- Burglars will normally target the master bedroom. Hide valuables in other areas of the home
- Be alert for suspicious persons and vehicles in your neighborhood. If you see something suspicious, especially around dusk, call 9-1-1 and officers will respond to investigate.