Did you know that every 3 hours in the United States a person or vehicle is struck by a train? The second annual U.S. Rail Safety Week and Operation Clear Track is next week September 22nd through September 28th, 2019.
During that week, Abington Township Police Officers will be participating in Operation Clear Track. On Tuesday, September 24th, rain date: September 25th, officers will be monitoring railroad crossings in the Township in an effort to raise awareness about the dangers of driving or walking near train tracks.
Please remember these 5 safety tips when approaching railroad crossings:
- Look and listen for trains as you approach any railroad crossing-obey all signs, warning lights and gates.
- Trains are quieter and faster than you think—never try to beat a train.
- Because of their size and weight, it can take a mile or more to stop a train.
- Always expect a train on any track; avoid distractions when you approach a crossing
- Rail property is private property. Walking on the tracks is illegal and dangerous.