As the weather gets nicer the numbers of bicyclists using the road will begin to increase. Here are a few bicycle safety tips riders should abide by:
- If you are under 12 years of age you are required to
wear a helmet.
- Bicyclists must obey all rules of the road.
- Bicyclists must ride with the flow of traffic.
- Only one rider may be on bicycle at one time unless it is equipped for multiple riders.
- Shall not ride more than two abreast.
- Shall not carry any package that prohibits one hand being placed on the handle bars.
- When riding between sunset and sundown must have a white light visible from the front for at least 500 feet and a red reflector visible from the rear for at least 500 feet.
- If operated on the sidewalk must give right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Bicyclists are prohibited from riding on sidewalks in business districts.
Bicyclists in violation can be cited with a $10.00 fine plus court costs.
Remember to ride safely. Thank you from the Abington Township Police Department.