4th of July Celebration Safety Message and Traffic Plan
On Monday, July 4, 2016, the Greater Glenside Patriotic Association will be sponsoring the 113th Annual Independence Day Parade and Fireworks Display. Abington Township works closely with the Patriotic Association to ensure that a safe and memorable day is had by all. To ensure everyone’s safety, please adhere to the following guidelines:
The parade begins at 4 p.m. and will last approximately 2 hours.
- The parade route runs down Jenkintown Road from Edge Hill Road to Easton Road, then turns right and runs down Easton Road from Jenkintown Road to Waverly Road.
- Easton Road will be closed to all traffic at Edge Hill Road starting at approximately 3:15 p.m. until the end of the parade.
- Cars parked on the parade route will be towed starting at 12:00 p.m. on July 4.
- Please refrain from using any fireworks along the parade route.
- If you See Something, Say Something! If you notice anything suspicious, please notify one of the Abington Police Officers that will be staged along the parade route.
- Have Fun!
- The fireworks are scheduled to begin at 9 p.m.
- Parking is available at Copper Beech Elementary School, as well as the Abington Junior High and Senior High.
- Arrive early. Highland Avenue will be closed to all traffic between Jenkintown Road and Susquehanna Road starting at 8:45 p.m.
- Parking regulations will be strictly enforced in the area of Highland Avenue and Jericho Manor, including ticketing and/or towing.
- Parking at Mt. Vernon Garden Apartments on Easton Road is strictly for residents of Mt. Vernon. All others will be towed.
- Please do not sit in any of the restricted areas, as this will delay the fireworks display from starting.
- Please do not block any of the roadways on the Copper Beech or Junior/Senior High Campus.
- Please do not bring any fireworks to the school campus.
- If you See Something, Say Something! If you notice anything suspicious, please notify one of the Abington Police Officers that will be staged throughout the area.
- Have Fun!
Traffic after the Fireworks
- Expect temporary traffic congestion in the area of Copper Beech and the Junior/Senior High Campus after the show. Please be patient and courteous. Everyone is trying to get home safely.
- Watch for pedestrians when driving.
- Pedestrians should cross only at designated cross walks.
- If you park at Copper Beech in the south parking lot (closest to Charles Avenue), police will direct you to turn left out of the parking lot to head south on Easton Road.
- If you park at Copper Beech in the north parking lot (across from Dairy Queen), police will direct you to turn right out of the parking lot to head north on Easton Road.
- If you park at the Abington Junior High School, you can exit onto Susquehanna Road at Jericho Road or onto Highland Avenue at Tyler Avenue. If you exit onto Highland at Tyler, police will direct you to turn left onto Highland to head north on Highland toward Susquehanna Road.
- If you park in at the Abington Senior High School student parking lot (behind the stadium), enter and exit from Ghost Road off of Highland Avenue. When you leave, you will be directed by police to turn right onto Highland to head south on Highland Avenue toward Jenkintown Road.
- If you park in the Senior High faculty parking lot, you will be directed to exit across Highland Avenue to Canterbury Road. Take Canterbury Road straight until Old York Road where you will be directed to turn right to head south on Old York Road.
- Traffic from Jenkintown Road and Susquehanna Road will not be allowed to turn on to Highland Avenue until after the fireworks traffic has subsided.